Primary Health Care made Simple and Accessible
Frequently Asked Questions
InTouch Primary Care and You
Direct Primary Care (DPC) is a well-established, simplified health care model that puts patients first by removing complexities in the system. By cutting out insurance companies from the doctor-patient relationship, we avoid restrictions that affect traditional care practices. As a result, DPC allows easy access, significant cost savings, and higher quality care.
InTouch Primary Care is direct care practice. We offer comprehensive, high quality, affordable, personalized care in a compassionate way regardless of insurance status.
The principles are the same, and the terms are often used interchangeably. The focus is on meeting the needs of patients by offering easy, consistent, convenient access to care. With un-rushed visits, personalized care, and a focus on prevention, you receive proactive rather than reactive healthcare.
To achieve a personal doctor-patient relationship, Direct Primary Care practices do not accept health insurance but work directly with the patient (as the name implies). With a low monthly fee, you can save a lot of money due to convenient access, no-cost procedures, and wholesale test pricing.
Without the restrictions and red tape in the traditional care system we are able to spend quality time with you, providing easy access, convenient, consistent, affordable care.
At InTouch Primary Care, the relationship is with you and your doctor, so you no longer have to switch doctors because of changes in your insurance or insurance status. You can finally have your own personal doctor, one that knows you well, which makes all the difference in how you receive care and on your health.
InTouch Primary Care also offers services to individuals or families visiting from out of the country, who desire affordable care from a trusted experienced physician. We take away the burden and help you navigate the complex health system.
Yes! We typically see children ages 5 and older primarily because we do not offer vaccinations in the clinic. However, we do believe that all patients should be fully vaccinated and will help to arrange for vaccine administration. If you have children younger than 5 and this is ok with you please let us know.
1. CONVENIENCE: At InTouch Primary Care, you don’t have to wait. You can be seen the same or next day if needed. Since we space out our appointments, you don’t have to sit in the waiting room very long or at all, prior to your appointment. You can communicate with your own doctor via telephone, text or email in between visits and may be able to do a video chat visit if appropriate when you cannot come into the office. This is especially convenient when you cannot get away from work or when you are traveling. We are available to you when many other doctor’s offices are not.
2. TRANSPARENCY: At a traditional primary care practice when your insurance is processed, you will either pay a co-pay or pay for the full doctor’s visit each time, until you meet your deductible. If you have a high deductible plan, then you may pay everything out of pocket until the deductible is met (if it is actually met). Having insurance doesn’t mean you don’t pay for additional health care costs as co-pays, co-insurance, and deductibles add up. Services and tests typical cost more in a traditional practice and you often do not know how much you will end up paying ahead of time. At InTouch Primary Care you pay a flat membership fee and have convenient access without ever worrying about surprise bills.
3. SAVINGS: You have access to wholesale tests and in office procedures at no cost. For example, basic physical labs will cost you about $20 compared to $150-$300. You have access to our procedures at no additional cost. You can also schedule appointments, get medications easily refilled and meet your health care needs without wasting valuable time. With ongoing care and easy access you can often avoid urgent or emergent care leading to even more savings.
4. RELATIONSHIP: You can spend time with your physician as often as you need (in contrast to the 15 minutes you likely will get on each of your visits elsewhere). We have time to answer your questions. You can focus on your health and meet your health goals more easily. You’ll have a long term relationship with your primary care physician instead of having to change doctors every time your health care plan or your doctor’s office acceptance of your plan changes.
Yes. What we offer is personalized health care tailored to your needs. You can enjoy peace of mind, knowing you can easily reach your own doctor. With our focus on prevention, we are proactive about your health, but also here for your reactive health needs. We can build a lasting relationship so that over time we truly get to know you, and over months and years, with intimate knowledge of your health we are able to provide comprehensive personalized care.
- 1. You can save money. A deductible means you pay out of pocket until a certain amount before your insurance starts to pay. Many deductibles are $2000 or more, and many do not ever meet it, so you are already paying out of pocket for health care. At InTouch, your yearly membership costs $900 (18-44) -$1200 (45 and older). Then you save more money on low prices for labs (ex: CBC $3, A1c (Diabetes screen) $3), and we try to find you the best deals on medications. In addition, you are less likely to spend money on acute care because you can easily reach us. You get personalized care at a lower cost!
2. You will save a lot of time. You don’t have to wait weeks to see your doctor. Enjoy peace of mind, knowing you can easily reach your doctor between appointments, via phone, email, or text.
3. You do not have to delay care. We do not overlap appointments, your wait time is minimal, so our waiting room is empty, and we follow covid-19 precautions. In addition, since your monthly fee covers all your visits, there are no copays or deductibles. You do not have to delay care because of high costs.
4. You don’t have to feel rushed during your visits. We take the time to address your concerns.
5. You never have to worry about a surprise bill. Prices are transparent. You know exactly how much you will pay.
6. You can still use your insurance for expensive items like specialist visits, emergent visits, and hospitalization. You use insurance how it is used in most other instances (You use your home and car insurance for the unexpected and emergencies).
7. You do not have to switch your doctor with changes in your insurance or insurance status.
As a Direct Primary Care practice, we do not accept insurance. By forgoing insurance payments, we avoid intrusive and restrictive conditions set by third party payers so that we can meet the needs of our patients. Due to the complexities of processing insurance, it greatly increases demand to see more and more patients in order to cover costs. With a direct relationship, we are freed from unnecessary paperwork and arbitrary rules that do not benefit patients, and can practice patient centered medicine.
This direct arrangement also frees us from agreements that prevent physicians from offering wholesale prices on testing. With insurance out of the picture, we have more time to spend with you and provide the personal, convenient, affordable care our patients have come to love!
Not yet, we do not bill Medicare in this practice and unfortunately, due to federal regulations patients who are eligible for Medicare, are not able to join as members. We expect that this will change in the future. If you have Medicare and would like to become a patient, please send us an email to be added to our waiting list.
Yes. While health insurance is not required at InTouch Primary Care, we recommend our patients carry some type of health plan, such as a high deductible or health sharing plan should hospitalization or referral to a specialist become necessary. Just like you do for other aspects of life (car insurance, home owners insurance etc); you’ll use your health plan for the big stuff, but for your other healthcare needs, there’s InTouch Primary Care. We’re happy to refer you to insurance representatives who can help customize an insurance plan to your specific needs.
No, Direct Primary Care is not insurance. Having health insurance or a health plan can help pay for health care services not provided in a primary care setting (such as emergency room care, specialist visits) and for expensive tests.
Membership, Referrals, and Care
The Membership Fee covers as many in-person or virtual visits as necessary for chronic care, acute or sick care, hospital follow ups, pre-op evaluation, comprehensive physicals, in office procedures, wholesale labs and much more.
See our service page for examples of our services.
We hope that we provide such great care that you never want to leave, but we understand that circumstances may change. If for any reason you choose to cancel your membership, we simply request a 30 day written notice. During that 30 days, you will maintain all your membership benefits and the same level of care. Please note that re-enrollment is not guaranteed, it is based on available space and is at our discretion. Re-enrollment will incur another enrollment fee.
Ideally, our preventative care model with unprecedented physician access helps prevent or reduce hospitalizations whenever possible. In the event of an acute injury or illness requiring hospitalization, Dr. Ashaye will communicate with your hospital care team to ensure they are familiar with your health history and that you receive excellent care while admitted. While she does not admit patients to the hospital, Dr. Ashaye is on staff at Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, so she would be able to access your medical records if you are admitted there. We recommend that all patients maintain a health insurance plan that will cover them in the event of hospitalization or surgery.
If you need to see a specialist, we will support you and help refer you to the right medical professional. We will also help coordinate your care to make sure nothing is lost in translation. You will still be able to use your insurance to pay for specialist visits.
In office tests are included in your membership. We have negotiated special member only rates for out of office lab tests and have cost saving options for imaging (Check out the savings on our Membership Page). You may also still use your insurance for tests and imaging.
If you have a life-threatening emergency, call 911 immediately. A family member or caregiver can call us later. InTouch Primary Care provides primary care services, however for urgent problems that are not emergencies, please contact us and we will make reasonable efforts to see you and be available electronically. Often, we can diagnose and treat without a visit to the ER. In fact, membership medicine has been shown to result in fewer ER visits for members because we can discuss your medical needs.
As a member of InTouch Primary Care, you can speak with us wherever you are in the United States, and we will help with any medical conditions that can be addressed by a virtual visit. If you have a condition that requires in-person evaluation and treatment, we will direct you to appropriate nearby care, and coordinate follow-up when you return home.
We believe that controlled substances, both narcotics (Lorcet, Lortab, Norco, Oxycontin, Percocet, Vicodin, etc.) and benzodiazepines (Ativan, Klonopin, Valium, Xanax, etc), have a limited role in primary care. Therefore Dr. Ashaye prescribes them rarely and only very sparingly. We believe chronic pain requiring narcotics is best managed by a pain management specialist. We are happy to work with you on non-narcotic options for your pain and to manage your other medical conditions. We do not treat anxiety with benzodiazepines, but are happy to offer other medications and techniques often successful in treating anxiety.
Telemedicine is the use of technology such as video and audio to deliver clinical services. Basically a physician is able to treat patients whenever needed and wherever the patient is, by using a computer or smartphone.
Some health expenses may qualify, but please speak to a CPA or financial advisor for specific answers on what would be best for you.